Sportsmanship Clinic

I served as chaperone for the sportsmanship clinic on Thursday, October 19 at Eleva-Strum High School. On the way down to Eleva, the van was filled with quiet conversation, but on the way back to campus, there was lots of chatter as the students talked about their experiences during the event. I sat in the back of the room and listened to the presentation. Craig Hillier is an engaging presenter and his content on teamwork and leadership can be applied to many situations that students will encounter throughout their lives. The speaker began with some fun ice-breakers which got the students out of their shells (and comfort zones). He shared personal anecdotes to illustrate his points and mixed up his presentation with lots of movement—including a rowdy game of Simon Says. I enjoyed watching our students from Immanuel meet and interact with students from other schools in the Dairyland Conference. (Jill Tiefel)

From some of the student attendees:

"It was cool to see a bunch of people who I played sports with (even though I didn't really recognize any of them). The presenter was super energetic and fun to listen to."

"It was very informative and well presented"

"The thing that stuck with me the most was when he was telling a story of his friend who had played for the Minnesota Vikings. His buddy was looking at all the jerseys fans were wearing with players' last names on it and said, 'Why would you wear someone else's name on your back? Go out and make one for yourself.' I suppose that is pretty decent advice sportswise, but I couldn't help thinking of the name on my jersey: Immanuel. I get to play representing the greatest name ever. If that doesn't make me happy and make me want to do the best I can, I don't know what will."




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Handling the Heat!

The Volleyball Program

Early Bonding